I love anything with a streusel topping – coffee cake is typically the first thing I think of when I was something streusel-ly (is that a word? it should be!). The Banana Streusel muffins are delicious – one difference to this recipe is that you don’t mash the bananas – you slice the bananas!
When you bite into the muffins you get hit with this delicious cinnamon-sugar crunchy topping, a plump muffin and sweet slices of heaven. (Craving something chocolate? What about a spicy ginger molasses cookie?)
This recipe is from Sarabeth Levine’s cookbook “Sarabeth’s Bakery: From My Hands to Yours”, which is quickly becoming one of my favourite books to bake from.
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2½ tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Softened butter (to grease pan)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- Grated zest of ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, beaten & at room temp
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 small ripe bananas, peeled and cut into ¼-inch slices
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter the muffin pan.
- To make streusel: mix flour, superfine sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, butter and vanilla with your fingers in a small bown until combined and crumbly. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a stand mixer (or a bowl and hand mixer) beat the butter on high speed until smooth (1 min). Gradually add the sugar and continue beating, scraping sides when necessary for about 5 mins. Beat in lemon zest and vanilla. Slowly beat in the eggs, then the milk.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. In thirds add the flour, alternating with the sour cream (F,S,F,S,F), do not overbeat. Fold in the bananas.
- Use an ice cream scoop and fill the muffin cups equally and generously. Sprinkle the tops with the streusel.
- Bake for 10 minutes then reduce temperature to 375°F and bake until muffin tops are golden brown and cake tester comes out clean, about 15 minutes more.
- Cool in pan 10 mins. Remove the muffin and allow to cool completely.