How do you get your kids to brush their teeth? Do you use a timer? Do you sing a song? To get my kids to brush their teeth properly, we sing the “Happy Birthday” song! It’s an easy trick to help get them in the mindset to brush their teeth longer, and properly, too! And my daughter being 11 and in French Immersion gets to sing “Joyeux Anniversaire” while she brushes her teeth!
This month it’s National Oral Health Care month, and it’s the perfect reminder to pay special attention to our teeth and our children’s teeth! Poor oral health can lead to gum disease, which can lead to teeth loss… I don’t need to go on, right?
To get you started on the path towards a brighter, whiter smile, I suggest the following tips:
For the kids
Children often look at mom and dad as role models, so make sure you lead by example and talk to them about the importance of taking care of their teeth and gums!
- Suggest using a timer or a song to ensure that the kiddies are brushing for as long as they’re supposed to. You can even make it a family activity by doing it all together.
- Give your kiddos a bonus for brushing. A sticker chart that keeps track of their brushing habits is a great way to give them an incentive to brush.
- Introduce a toothpaste and brush that features one of your kids favourite characters – such as the Orajel™ Spiderman™ and My Little Pony™ Anticavity Fluoride Toothpaste and the Kids Spinbrush™ My Little Pony™ Battery Toothbrush. It keeps things exciting while practicing healthy habits!
Make sure you’re brushing and flossing at least twice a day to achieve optimal oral health.
- The Canadian Dental Association recommends replacing your toothbrush or toothbrush head every three months or sooner if it becomes worn, for an optimal clean.
- Use a battery-powered toothbrush with sonic pulsating action. For example, the new
Arm & Hammer™ Sonic Pulse Battery Toothbrush is clinically proven to remove 2X more plaque versus a manual toothbrush. This toothbrush has a slim, ergonomic handle, and comes with a replaceable head and battery!
- If you can’t resist desserts and candy, pay attention! Foods that contains a lot of sugar can stain your teeth and soften tooth enamel. I recommend Arm & Hammer™ Truly Radiant™ Clean & Fresh™ Toothpaste for enamel safe whitening and lasting freshness plus it prevents tartar build up!
This month make it your goal to wear a smile you’re proud of. How are you practicing good oral health habits?