As one of our New Year’s resolutions, our household has been focused on healthy living since the beginning of the year (read more about our health journey here). I’ve lost quite a bit of weight on the HCG diet, my husband has lost weight along with me, and we’ve started changing our kids’ diets to be more focused on whole foods, getting rid of all the processed junk.
I’m very excited to share this recipe with you today – I discovered it through a friend on Facebook (isn’t that how we find anything nowadays?), and relished in the fact that it was Paleo-friendly, egg-free, dairy-free, and made of delicious Meyer lemons.
I’ve adapted the recipe from Healing Family Eats (which is a very lovely blog featuring autoimmune Paleo recipes), and I added Almond Breeze in the recipe. My daughter is allergic to the cow milk protein, and the rest of our family have slight lactose intolerances, that make eating heavy sauces and desserts no fun! (Think cheesecakes and alfredo sauces – those are a huge no go in our house!)
Almond Breeze is helping us maintain our 2015 health resolutions by providing our family with a beverage that is lactose-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free, but still a source of calcium.
After using Almond Breeze in our Island Breeze Smoothie, I knew I wanted to try almond milk in a dessert. My daughter was very excited to come home to this little treat! Not only is it Paleo, but it’s dairy-free and egg-free, and is a perfect lemon dessert. It’s light and fluffy, but with a pudding consistency.
In the original recipe, the blogger said it was very fluffy, whereas mine turned out more like a pudding, perhaps because I added a bit more gelatin? Either way, the whole family adored this dessert and asked for seconds! If you try it, let me know!
- ½ cup of water
- 2 tsp gelatin
- 2 tbsp zest of Meyer lemons
- ½ cup juice of Meyer lemons
- 2 cups (500ml) Almond Breeze milk
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- Put ½ a cup of water in a shallow pot, and sprinkle gelatine on top. Set aside for about 5 minutes until softened.
- In a large jug, mix lemon zest, lemon juice, almond milk, and salt.
- Heat the gelatine very gently, just until dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in the honey.
- Whisk the gelatine-honey mixture into the lemon-almond milk.
- Divide into 4 bowls or small glasses, and chill about 2 hours, until set.